Friday, June 05, 2015

Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus

Like you, Victor Frankenstein was a young college student interested in the sciences and studying away from home in pursuit of achieving excellence.  How was reading Frankenstein a beneficial reading experience for you personally? What do you think was the most important conflict and ethical issue in the novel? Why? And how does it relate to your personal journey in academic America? 

“Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.”

Almost a century old, this novel remains a worldwide poplar success. People find in it timeless lessons. I am no different. Reading Frankenstein helped bring me back to reading more stories. It is not easy to choose a main theme to get out of the novel, because several can stand out, such as the heavyweight relationship between creator and creature. The book brings disastrous imagery to the mind of its readers, which made me think of where I could end up, and what I can do to avoid Victor Frankenstein’s tragic end.

Having experienced this sample of classic literature, I am no longer afraid of not understanding the themes presented in older novels. I found that the ideas brought forward by writers are often timeless, and that they can be perceived in many ways. Thanks to Mary Shelly, I am encouraged to explore more books of this sort. Also, Frankenstein succeeded in incorporating reading into my daily schedule. In the beginning, I had difficulties focusing while reading outside of the classroom, but now I know how to turn my eyes away from distraction and be engaged in what I am reading.

The most important theme of the novel, in my opinion, was the horror of encountering the creator, and the responsibility they hold towards their creation. Our right to question our existence and have answers to our questions has driven many to insanity. The consequences of seeking this simple right are frightening to most, and Shelly dared to explore those realms. She revealed disturbing thoughts that only few dare to discuss. For example, she portrays the creature as she would a human being. The things he wants, like when he cried, “Shall each man find a wife for his bosom, and each beast have his mate, and I be alone?” made it very easy for readers to sympathize with him.


I do not wish to end up my faith stolen away from me, dead on a ship in the frozen Arctic. And I, certainly, do not wish to end like the monster either. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would have to say, “If I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear!” I wish to spend my time in America, studying and working towards what I believe in. I want for my story to have a happy ending.

No comments :

Post a Comment